Studying at ISAL
ISAL is a Higher Education Institution in the Autonomous Region of Madeira that offers undergraduate courses and it was one of the pioneers at a national level, with a Higher Education course in Tourism (in the academic year 1989/90).
All its undergraduate courses are lectured in the evenings, thus allowing students to study and work simultaneously. Another differentiating factor is the fact that all the courses include internships, which favours the connection to the business world and the labour market. Thus, the employability rate is high, also as a consequence of the quality of ISAL’s teaching.
Even at the level of post-graduate training, the offer is also in this regime, because it is aimed at active workers who can thus develop their professional career inside or outside the organization where they already work. This offer has a multidisciplinary faculty, of national reference, which combines the academic and professional fields, as in the entire training offer provided by ISAL.
Advantages of studying at ISAL – Madeira:
- Madeira, a top destination for Tourism
- Courses with internship (strong connection to regional companies and institutions)
- Partnerships with European universities for exchange with ERASMUS+ scholarship
- Connection between ISAL courses and the needs of the Region
- Better integration into working life
- Courses in the evenings (making it possible to work and study)
- Second wealthiest region of Portugal
- Safe and quiet region
- Mild climate, both in winter and summer
- Departure point for the main European capitals
- Island geared towards sports and outdoor activities
With the “Employment Hub”, ISAL makes it possible to:
- Support young people in their job search and subsequent professional integration;
- Inform and guide young people who intend to continue their studies;
- Collect and disseminate job and training offers;
- Promote the connection between ISAL and the business environment.
The Freshman Party is a time for freshmen and students from previous undergraduate years to socialize and have fun. The freshmen participate in traditional games and other recreational activities. The freshmen choose their godfathers and godmothers. The mister and miss freshman are elected and finally, the baptism takes place.
Freshmen only participate in hazing activities if they want to. These are games that stay in the memory of the new students and help them feel integrated. ISAL’s hazing fosters the academic and mutual help spirit of the new students.
The aim and plan of activities of the Students’ Association include not only the training area but also the socio-cultural aspect.
ISAL Students’ Association is the students’ representative organization. In 2007 the Association was recognised by the Ministry of Education and Science.
ISAL’s Blessing and Burning of the Ribbons represents the traditions of Madeira Island. It is a memorable moment for everyone and it represents one more stage conquered, one more path taken by our students. It is an event not to be missed!
ISAL has its own facilities for the accommodation of its out-of-town students. ISAL residence is 2 minutes away from the campus on foot. Both ISAL Campus and Residence are located in the centre of Funchal, thus avoiding any additional transportation costs.
Consult our accommodation page for more details.